Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 5

We started the day by taking a tour through the Fiery Furnace. Ironically, it was neither; the rocks get fiery red at sunset, and when we took the tour it was cloudy and in the low 80s. You can see what it generally looks like in the left side of this photograph.

The fun part of hiking in the fiery furnace is walking through little cracks between fins of rock. Here is a picture of a crack that we walked through followed by a picture of me trying to squeeze through a crack a bit skinnier than me.

Anyway, there are a couple of really cool arches that you can see in the Fiery Furnace section. The first one is called kissing turtles, but I don't really see it. I frequently can't figure out what people are talking about when they say that a rock formation looks like something. The second one is called "Twin Arches" which is boring, so they nicknamed it "Skull Arch", which I actually could figure out. Some little kid decided to call it "Underpants" and I think that's the best name.


Later in the day, we went to the "Island in the Sky" section of Canyonlands, and got to drive really fast down a windy road. If you ever own a sports car, be sure to come here. Anyway, it's known for being picturesque, so here's a few nice pictures for you:



And the scenery gets even better! First, we have a picture through Mesa Arch, and on secondly we have Julie on top of Whale rock. Some of these photographs look a little hazy - that's because of the clouds and sun and whatnot; Julie says I could fix it by applying a filter of some sort, but I don't know how to do that, so if you want to see the really nice pictures, you'll just have to see our scrapbook once Julie makes it.

No comments: