Interviews are finally over, woohoo, well hopefully, there is always a chance that there will be another one. The last ones were at Northshore in Evanston, Baylor in Dallas, and Oklahoma City. By the way, does anybody know why the University of Oklahoma is abbreviated OU? These last few interviews were just not fun as travel goes. I feel sorry for the people who have to interview in January. Getting to Northshore was a pain because apparently Indiana does nothing for their roads, but at least I had some hot cocoa waiting for me when I got to David's parents. Also, I had to stay an extra day up there because of the possibility of a snow storm. For the Dallas interview, the city transportation gave me a route to the wrong hotel, they took me to the Hyatt Reunion hotel and not the Hyatt summerfield suites, for those of you who do not know the Reunion one is the one that looks like a giant disco ball. For the Oklahoma City one, apparently the thought of a little snow cause the people of Oklahoma to run home in fear, because all of the downtown restaurants were closed and I was the only one wandering around downtown Oklahoma City. It was not even snowing.
Today I worked on my thank you cards and they are now all done, but I must admit they are pretty generic. Oh well it is something that has to be done. It probably is not good that I am just now mailing one for my Nov. 10th interview, but better late than never.
David is working on getting the grades done for the semester and starting to prepare for next semester. At least next semester he will not have to take a class which means he should be home before 10PM every night.
We are looking forward to making Christmas cookies and using the new mixing bowls that I got David for Christmas (yes he has already received them, we are not very good at giving things only on holidays. Since we bought it why not use it. He gave me a coat for Christmas and I have been wearing it since the middle of November). It is nice that our church does cookies for the homeless, that way we can have the fun of making a whole bunch of cookies without having to worry about gaining a lot of weight, after all I want the coat to still fit in January.
One final note for those who have made it this far. On the interview trail, it inevitably comes up that David is in Math education. It is interesting the different responses I get from this some just move on which is fine since the interview is supposed to be about me, others seem to think that it is an inferior and not as important as medicine (this of course leaves me with a bad impression of them, because all scientists should realize the importance of math), and others find it quite interesting and go on about how important math is and how they really respect him for it and we have a little discussion about his research and his goals. Well, one interviewer when I finished said, "It was nice meeting you, and I would be really interested in meeting your husband." Apparently, I did a better job selling him than myself.
3 comments:
That was a very interesting post. However, I am interested in seeing a picture of your duck nativity!
Oh and the cookies for homeless sounds awesome. And much better than my method of just sending them to gamers.
What does this blog have to do with mauve mittens?
Maybe you should go along with David on his interviews, since you do such a good job selling him...
I tried to make up some tie between the post and mauve mittens, but was unable to. Although, I did learn a lot about the color mauve from wikipedia.
I totally agree that I should go on the interviews with David. Sadly, I will be in school at the time though.
Post a Comment