Monday, December 15, 2008

Apple pie and Chevrolet, but no baseball


Last night we made an apple pie, featured above. Actually, Julie made the apple pie. All I did was slice the apples with our mandolin and roll out the dough for the crust. There are a huge number of possible ways to make an apple pie, and I think this is one of the best. The apples are sliced thinly (3/16ths of an inch thick) and the top is a streusel. I pretty much like anything with a streusel topping, unless that particular topping has nuts in it. For the record, nuts do not belong as an accoutrement to a dessert - although nut based deserts are acceptable, as in baklava.

As Julie has blogged about her interviewing experience, I thought I should blog about mine, as well. I have only been to one interview so far - in Detroit. My interview, including being taken out for an early dinner after it was over, was about 9 hours. The actual formal parts of the interview only took up about 5 of those hours, so four hours were as much chit-chat as they were interview. I think in a small department, they find it very important to make sure everyone gets along and can enjoy each others company. Anyway, despite having no ties of any meaningful sort to the auto industry other than living in Detroit, everyone wanted to talk about the impending auto bailout all the time. Politics is one of those things about which everyone has an opinion, but few people have any reason for that opinion - making it a very poor subject to talk about with people who are going to be deciding whether or not to hire you. So I took a safe route and confined myself to talking more about the business side of things - specifically that nobody seems to have any plan that will help GM, Ford, or Chrysler actually make money, and that should probably be a primary concern.

1 comment:

Mike said...

You forgot the hot dogs. Ask me sometime to sing you the ditty - it's very memorable, kind of like taking Salem out of the country.