Saturday, June 13, 2009

In Theory

So we paid some guys to help us move our stuff into the pod. There were three of them; two looked like college guys doing this for the summer, and the third was an older dude who probably did this kind of thing full time. When they got here, we told them that it was going to be a tight squeeze fitting everything in, so they should probably do it as Julie and I had planned - to which the older guy responded "that's a good plan in theory" and proceeded to ignore it. After they got a bunch of stuff in his way, it became apparent that his strategy was to put as much stuff as possible on top of our couch and completely crush it. So, I made them re-do it the way we wanted, and despite the old dude's continual protestations about "theory," our plan worked. In order to assist in the process of getting furniture out the door, we did away with the door.




I think the concept of "theory" has a bad rap because most people don't use them and most people who do use them don't understand them (thereby being unable to avoid the tendency to apply them in situations in which they are not applicable). But those of us who understand the theories that we use regularly know to estimate the inherent error in applying a given theory to the real world and can therefore accommodate. In short, our beautiful plan worked.

And then once all the furniture was in, they started loading boxes. Once again, their plan seemed to be to put as much weight as possible on our sofa cushions (despite the fact that they knew that we didn't want that), so I had to ask them to leave. All in all, I am not taken with the idea of using movers. It is much better to have a few strong friends and/or family and do it yourself. That way you won't get as much extremely dirty sweat on all of your upholstery. After they left, we unloaded all the boxes they put in and loaded all the boxes ourself. As you can see, it worked just fine.



In case you have never seen a pod being delivered or removed, I have included a picture of our pod hanging in midair so you can see how it works. The final picture is of the truck going away. I took it through a screen because I thought that would turn out better than taking it through the glass (the screen is only on the bottom half of the window). Needless to say, there is some cleaning left to be done.



1 comment:

Marcie said...

In theory, movers are a good idea...