These are the first slides I have made of a tissue. It was a frozen section which is done in the surgical pathology lab when a surgeon wants to know if he has good margins. Since the patient is still open, it has to be done quickly hence the freezing. My slide of course was made after the pathologist had already determined that the margins were good. The machine is able to cut the tissue to a thickness of 4-5 microns, so a paintbrush has to be used to prevent the tissue from curling up on itself. I listed a link to a wikipedia article for those who want to read about frozen sections and also a website that has some good images.
The tissue is small intestine.
2 comments:
How exciting. It looks like bacon. Do you keep your camera with you to take pictures?
That picture was taken on my kitchen counter. David usually has the camera. I only get to use it when he remembers to bring it home.
Post a Comment