This post made me think of my uncle. He worked on a Phd in weeds (not weed) and now sells software he designed to help farmers with their crop planning/weeds and such, so I call him a weed scientist. He gets pictures from all of us asking what to do with weeds. I sent him a link and this is the message he sent back to me:
It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like crabgrass to me. There’s not much they can do about it at this time of year, except to keep it mowed so it doesn’t produce seeds. It’s an annual, so it’ll die this winter. However all those seeds will germinate next spring/summer. So in the spring, probably around March, before the crabgrass starts to germinate, they’ll want to put out a fertilizer that has crabgrass control. I think Scott’s has a product that is a Turfbuilder with crabgrass control. But rather than take my word for it, they should go to a garden supply store and take a sample of the weed and get their opinion.
1 comment:
This post made me think of my uncle. He worked on a Phd in weeds (not weed) and now sells software he designed to help farmers with their crop planning/weeds and such, so I call him a weed scientist. He gets pictures from all of us asking what to do with weeds. I sent him a link and this is the message he sent back to me:
It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like crabgrass to me. There’s not much they can do about it at this time of year, except to keep it mowed so it doesn’t produce seeds. It’s an annual, so it’ll die this winter. However all those seeds will germinate next spring/summer. So in the spring, probably around March, before the crabgrass starts to germinate, they’ll want to put out a fertilizer that has crabgrass control. I think Scott’s has a product that is a Turfbuilder with crabgrass control. But rather than take my word for it, they should go to a garden supply store and take a sample of the weed and get their opinion.
Post a Comment