Sunday, November 8, 2009

Scrubs: the good, the bad, and the ugly

With only 3 weeks left of my 4 month long stint of wearing scrubs 6 days a week, I figured I should write a post about it as therapy to get me through the final stretch.


The ugly

I think this is obvious. Pretty much everyone has seen scrubs, so you know how ugly they are. They are one color; ours happen to be a pale blue and are so blah. They also have either VUH or VCH with a year stamped on the butt, now that is flattering.


The bad

They do not fit. Surprisingly, Vanderbilt does not offer a petite size, but they did get a special set for the 6'9" resident, so unfair. When I wear scrubs, I have to tie them way up high, but since I put a badge and pager on them, they naturally fall down through out the day until they finally arrive at my hips. This means that I spend most of the day tripping over my scrubs that make their way under my shoes. Not only are they really long, but the smalls are made for some very large people, because I think three of me could fit inside. The shirt is also huge, it is constantly slipping off my shoulders and they of course have a huge V neck, luckily we are allowed to wear tank tops underneath them.


The good

It took me awhile, but I was finally able to think of some good things about scrubs, once I got over their imperfections. First of all, there is no wrong side since the inside looks just like the outside. This means when you fold your clothes and when you get dressed in the dark in the morning, you don't have to worry about orientation and you don't have to try to pick out an outfit to wear in the morning and try to match clothes, because it has already been decided for you. Also, if they ever get really bloody or covered with something else (you can use your imagination for that one), then the hospital will wash them and I don't have to. Finally, as ugly as they are, we all looked hideous in them and it is nice knowing that you are not the only one stuck wearing them and everyone looks bad in them.


Just three weeks left.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Could you just order your own scrubs?

Julie said...

No, you have to wear hospital scrubs in the operating rooms. Most hospital are this way. If you just stay on the floors, then you can wear your own scrubs at most hospitals.